Swirl Clay Art Using Medello Design Stencil and American Clay

Hi Friends!

This is one of my FAVORITE pieces I have made using American Clay as wall art.  

American Clay with Medello Design Swirl



As my love for American Clay continues I try to explore different uses for the product.  I've even gone so far as to coat a lamp out if it. (the center on that lamp used to be a white PVC pipe which is probably why I got it for 10 bucks at a thrift store!)



Today I would like to showcase an art piece I created with the clay and in good 'ol blog fashion try to explain how to........ Do It Yourself.  :-)

First buy yourself a blank art canvas. I bought four canvases 24"x30" which would make the final piece a whoppin 4'x5'!  Michaels craft store carries a lot of sizes. (I've even done this technique on a tiny 8"x11" canvas)


Since American Clay needs something to stick onto I applied a sanded primer to the canvas and allowed it to dry.



Next I covered the entire four canvases with a layer of clay. I would highly recommend doing 2 layers of clay but as you read through my blog you will see I am quite impatient, not a great quality of mine! I compressed the clay extra to make sure it was a solid surface for my stencil.  The canvas needs to be 100% dry before you move onto the next step. (It was starting to dry in this picture.)




Then I applied my stencil.  These very large stencils can be found at Modello Designs - a fabulous design store full of amazing ideas. The stencils they offer come like a sticker you peel off and only use once.  For those extra crafty people try making your own stencil out of a thin plastic sheet.

Medello design on clay


Next I slather on my alternating color of reddish clay over the stencil, carefully troweling in the direction of the design.  I only did one layer of clay (debated doing two. but you know my impatience thing) and slowly peeled off the stencil (while it was still damp - that wasn't because of impatience, it was because working with it damp seemed easier.) When you peel off the stencil pull it completely flat against working area - do not pull UP! 


Medello design using American clay


I'm a sucker for the "old world" look so I felt it necessary to "age" my art.  I watered up some earth pigments and used my round stippler brush to age the clay.




                                           




custom clay art piece terra cotta swirls


All finished!  - just how I wanted it.  Next I will be finding the perfect place for this on a wall.  (Can you imagine it above a jetted bathtub on a terra cotta colored clay wall - maybe this is of things to come??)

UPDATE:  I ended up putting this in my NEW HOME :-)

tuscan clay art piece for home decor


If you would like to commission me to do a custom clay art piece for your home please CONTACT ME.  I do understand that the whole DIY thing isn't for everyone and I would be happy to do what I do best for you!

20 comments:

  1. That turned out so amazing. I want to see a closer picture of the clay on that lamp~ I didn't even know you could do that! Do a post on the lamp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool. I have a nail hole in our upstairs bathroom between the kid's bedrooms and filled it in with putty. Now I can't find ANY of the paint from that room to cover the putty!! UGH! So I have been dreaming of doing it in American Clay:). Can you email me the cost per square foot again? Maybe Trent and I would feel brave enough to take this on this winter. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I found your blog at My Romatic Home. I love your clay wall art, beautiful! I would like to invite you to post this over at my new link party, Masterpiece Monday, at my blog, Boogieboard Cottage. The link is already up. I hope you can join the party!

    Happy New Year,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Thank you for linking to Masterpiece Monday! I hope you can join in every week.
    Take care, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are right, this is TOTALLY my style!!! I LOVE this - I am now off to look at your blog to see if you have some other samples - love it! Your DD is a cutie as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is amazing!! It looks like a fun project to tackle. I love what a dramatic piece it is and no one else in the neighborhood will have one on their wall!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the color tones that you used. This clay is new to me. Thank you for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this would make an awesome headboard for a bed...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Selina, beautiful job! This Clay is new to me and I am so glad to have found out about it. I am just wondering if wall texture (joint compound, etc.) and faux painting deliver the same concept or is it entirely different? I would love to find out more. My email is rkfreitas@yahoo.com. Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful but... really $300? Ouch! Couldn't one download a design, print it out and transfer onto milar and use an exacto knife to cut it out to save $$? I love the way you used clay in this project - I miss doing projects like this, no time anymore!

    Michelle
    www.newenglandstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Reply to Michelle: Ya, 300.00 is totally ouch! Funny story about how I got it, I had a client who wanted me to use that stencil on her fireplace hood and decided later she wanted to me to paint a fresco instead! (see post on winning clay contest) So I ended up just getting the stencil for free! If you were really creative I think you could figure out a way to use a thick plastic and exacto knife like you said and make your own for 20 bucks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for all the information - your project turned out amazing! I have large empty walls and this would be just perfect!

    Susan,
    http://entertainexchange.blogspot.com/
    Party and Entertaining Inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful work and model!!!
    You are very talented.

    Visiting via the Weekend Wrap Up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful idea. I'm your newest follower. It would be great if you could stop by my blog Monday and add your project to The More The Merrier Link Party.

    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is so beautiful. I love it. Seriously. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Uh...this is just pure AWESOMENESS! I love it...along with your map + canvas tutorial.

    I'm your newest follower and would love for you to stop by my little piece of blog heaven...

    Jessica
    http://myworldmadebyhand.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I want to make this sooo bad. Can you tell me the size of the stencil you used? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Edie!

      The actual stencil size is 48" x 48". You can get them at Modello Designs (I think I included a link above)

      So glad you like the project!

      Selina

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! I read them ALL and appreciate them. If you are asking a question be sure and leave your email, it will help me be able to contact you if you need a response. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...